Dr. Leonardo Gutierrez
Categoría: Docentes / Administrativos
Publicado el Lunes, 25 Julio 2016 16:52
Escrito por Super User
Activo en nuestra institución desde el 04/02/2014 hasta el 19/09/2017.
BE (Mining Engineering); MSc. and PhD. (Environmental Engineering) – University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign; Post-Doc: King Abdullah University of Science and Technology at Saudi Arabia; Post-Doc: Curtin University of Technology at Australia.
- Position: Research Director
- School: School of Applied Sciences
- Department: Department of Environmental Engineering
- Campus: Ceibos - Guayaquil
- Summary of Publications: Scopus Google Scholar
- PHONE: + 593 4 2873-387
Dr. Gutierrez is an expert in AFM studies and has extensive experience in the field of colloidal/interfacial chemistry. He applies sophisticated AFM experimental techniques that aid in the elucidation of the dominant interacting mechanisms between organic compounds and colloids, including viruses, bacteria, and surfaces. His core training at the Seitz Materials Research Laboratory (UIUC) included: (Cryo) Transmission electron microscopy, (Environmental) Scanning electron microscopy, Fluorescence correlation spectroscopy, (Time-Resolved) Dynamic Light Scattering, and Streaming (Zeta) Potential-Electrophoretic mobility measurements. In addition, Dr. Gutierrez received specialized training in bio-safety (Vet-Med School at UIUC) levels 1 and 2 (handling/growing/purification of pathogens, bacteria, viruses, phages, and cell stocks), Atomic Force Microscopy (AFM-contact and tapping mode) coupled with Raman Spectroscopy, Quartz crystal microbalance with dissipation technique, and Synchrotron-based Small Angle X-Ray scattering. Dr. Gutierrez has collaborated with multidisciplinary teams of prestigious Universities and National Labs (e.g., Yale University, King Abdullah University of Science and Technology KAUST, Curtin University of Technology, MASDAR Institute of Technology, Argonne National Lab at Chicago, SLAC National Accelerator Laboratory at Stanford University, etc.). All his research projects resulted in publications in international peer-reviewed journals (e.g. ES&T, Water Research, Langmuir, Soft Matter, etc.), and have been presented in international conferences (e.g. American Chemical Society, Materials Research Society, Association of Environmental Engineering and Science Professors, etc.). Dr. Gutierrez is currently holding a Full-Professor position at Universidad Del Pacífico (Ecuador), where he develops characterization techniques at the nano-scale.
1. Refereed ISI Journal Articles
- Gutierrez, L.; Li, X.; Wang, J. W.; Nangmenyi, G.; Economy, J.; Kuhlenschmidt, T. B.; Kuhlenschmidt, M. S.; Nguyen, T. H., Adsorption of rotavirus and bacteriophage MS2 using glass fiber coated with hematite nanoparticles. Water Research 2009, 43, (20), 5198-5208. Read more
- Gutierrez, L.; Mylon, S. E.; Nash, B.; Nguyen, T. H., Deposition and Aggregation Kinetics of Rotavirus in Divalent Cation Solutions. Environmental Science & Technology 2010, 44, (12), 4552-4557. Read more
- Mylon, S. E.; Rinciog, C. I.; Schmidt, N.; Gutierrez, L.; Wong, G. C. L.; Nguyen, T. H., Influence of Salts and Natural Organic Matter on the Stability of Bacteriophage MS2. Langmuir 2010, 26, (2), 1035-1042. Read more
- Brady-Estevez, A. S.; Nguyen, T. H.; Gutierrez, L.; Elimelech, M., Impact of solution chemistry on viral removal by a single-walled carbon nanotube filter. Water Research 2010, 44, (13), 3773-3780. Read more
- Nguyen, T. H.; Easter, N.; Gutierrez, L.; Huyett, L.; Defnet, E.; Mylon, S. E.; Ferri, J. K.; Viet, N. A., The RNA core weakly influences the interactions of the bacteriophage MS2 at key environmental interfaces. Soft Matter 2011, 7, (21), 10449-10456. Read more
- Gutierrez, L.; Nguyen, T. H., Interactions between Rotavirus and Suwannee River Organic Matter: Aggregation, Deposition, and Adhesion Force Measurement. Environmental Science & Technology 2012, 46, (16), 8705-8713. Read more
- Aubry, C.; Gutierrez, L.; Croue, J. P., Coating of AFM probes with aquatic humic and non-humic NOM to study their adhesion properties. Water Research 2013, 47, (9), 3109-19. Read more
- Rosado-Lausell, S.; Wang, H.; Gutierrez, L.; Romero-Maraccini, O.; Niu, X.; Gin, K.; Croue, J. P.; Nguyen, T. H., Roles of Singlet Oxygen and Triplet Excited State of Dissolved Organic Matter Formed by Different Organic Matters in Bacteriophage MS2 Inactivation. Water Research 2013. 47 (14), 4869-79. Read more
- Khan, M; Manes, C; Aubry, C; Gutierrez, L.; Croue, J.O.; Kinetic study of seawater reverse osmosis membrane fouling. ES&T 2013, 47, (19), 10884-10894. Read more
- Gutierrez, L.; Nguyen, T. H.; Interactions between rotavirus and natural organic matter isolates of different physicochemical characteristics. Langmuir 2013, 29, (47), 14460-14468. Read more
- Aubry, C.; Khan, M.; Bezhad, A.R.; Anjum, D.; Gutierrez, L.; Croue, J.O.; Cross-sectional analysis of fouled SWRO membranes by STEM-EDS. Desalination 2014, 333, 128-125. Read more
- Niu, X; Liu, C; Gutierrez, L.; Croué, J.P.; Photobleaching-induced Changes in Photosensitized Properties of Dissolved Organic Matter. Water Research, 66 (2014) 140-148. Read more
- Wang, R.Q.; Gutierrez, L., Choond, N.S.; Croué, J.P.; Hydrophilic Interaction Liquid Chromatography Method for Measuring the Composition of Aquatic Humic Substances. Analytica Chimica Acta, 853, 1, (2015) 608-616. Read more
- Gutierrez, L.; Aubry, C.; Valladares, R.; Croue, J.P.; Natural organic matter interactions with polyamide and polysulfone membranes: formation of conditioning film. Colloids and Surfaces A: Physicochemical and Engineering Aspects. 2015, 477 (0), 1-8. Read more
- Gutierrez, L.; Cornejo, M.; Croue, J.P.; Citrate-coated silver nanoparticles interactions with effluent organic matter: influence of capping agent and solution conditions. Langmuir, 2015, 31 (32), 8865-8872. Read more
- Merle, T.; Dramas, L.; Gutierrez, L.; Garcia, V.; Croue, J.P.; Investigation of severe UF membrane fouling induced by three marine algal species. Water Research. 2016, 93, 10-19. Read more
- Pei, Y.; Jarrett, K.; Gutierrez, L.; Saunders, M.; Croue, J.P.; Roth, P.; Lowe, P.; Synthesis and Characterization of Non-ionic AB-diblock Soft Matter Nanoparticles with an Emphasis on Worm Micelles. RAC Advances. 2016, 6, 28130-28139. Read more
- Lua, D.; Zhang, T.; Gutierrez, L.; Maa, J.; and Croué, J.P.; Influence of surface properties of filtration-layer metal oxide on ceramic membrane fouling during ultrafiltration of oil/water emulsion, Environmental Science and Technology, 2016, 50 (9), 4668–4674. Read more
- Gutierrez, L.; Aubry, C.; Dramas, L.; Aimar, P.; Croue, J.P.; Characterization of Skeletonema costatum Intracellular Organic Matter and Study of Nanomechanical Properties under Different Solution Conditions. Colloids and Surfaces A: Physicochemical and Engineering Aspects. 2016, 506, 154-161. Read more
- Allard, S.; Gutierrez, L.; Fontaine, C,; Croué, J.-P. and Gallard, H. (2017) Organic matter interactions with natural manganese oxide and synthetic birnessite. Science of the Total Environment 583, 487-495. Read more
- Zaouri, N.; Gutierrez, L.; Dramas, L; Garces, D.; Croue, J.P.; Interfacial interactions between Skeletonema Costatum Extracellular Organic Matter and metal oxides: implications for ceramic membrane filtration. Water Research. 2017. 116, 194-202. Read more
- Gutierrez, L.; Keucken, A.; Aubry, C.; Zaouri, N.; Teychene, B.; Croue, J.P.; Impact of operation conditions, foulant adsorption, and chemical cleaning on the nanomechanical properties of ultra-filtration hollow fiber membranes. 2017. Read more
2. Abstracts of papers of the American Chemical Society, The American Physical Society, and The American Institute of Chemical Engineers
- X Li, J Wang, LA Gutierrez, TH Nguyen, J Economy. ENVR 37-Iron oxide nanoparticle coating on glass substrates for both Arsenic and MS2 virus removal. ABSTRACTS OF PAPERS OF THE AMERICAN CHEMICAL SOCIETY 235. 2008. Read more
- X Li, LA Gutierrez, GN Nangmenyi, TH Nguyen, J Economy. ENVR 270-Design of viricidal, metal oxide nanoparticles coated on a glass fiber substrate. ABSTRACTS OF PAPERS OF THE AMERICAN CHEMICAL SOCIETY 235. 2008. Read more
- LA Gutierrez, X Li, J Wang, GN Nangmenyi, J Economy, Theresa B Kuhlenschmidt, Mark S Kuhlenschmidt, Thanh H Nguyen. ENVR 271-Study of sorption and inactivation of ms2 phage and rotavirus using iron oxide-coated glass fiber. ABSTRACTS OF PAPERS OF THE AMERICAN CHEMICAL SOCIETY 235. 2008. Read more
- X Li, LA Gutierrez, J Wang, TH Nguyen, J Economy. POLY 8-Nanoparticles coated on a glass fiber substrate for virus removal. ABSTRACTS OF PAPERS OF THE AMERICAN CHEMICAL SOCIETY 238. 2009. Read more
- SE Mylon, TH Nguyen, CI Rinciog, LA Gutierrez. Influence of solution chemistry on the aggregation kinetics of bacteriophage MS2. ABSTRACTS OF PAPERS OF THE AMERICAN CHEMICAL SOCIETY 237. 2009. Read more
- LA Gutierrez, NW Schmidt, GCL Wong, TH Nguyen. Deposition and aggregation kinetics of rotavirus in the presence of divalent cations and natural organic matter. ABSTRACTS OF PAPERS OF THE AMERICAN CHEMICAL SOCIETY 239. 2010. Read more
- LA Gutierrez, R Lu, JP Croue, TH Nguyen. Rotavirus interaction with different natural organic matter (NOM). ABSTRACTS OF PAPERS OF THE AMERICAN CHEMICAL SOCIETY 245. 2013. Read more
- C Aubry, LA Gutierrez, H Nguyen, JP Croue. Natural organic matter (NOM) adhesion behavior on mica. ABSTRACTS OF PAPERS OF THE AMERICAN CHEMICAL SOCIETY 245. Read more
- X Li, J Wang, LA Gutierrez, TH Nguyen. Remove Arsenic and MS2 Virus by Iron Oxide Nanoparticles Coated on Glass Fibers. The 2008 THE AMERICAN INSTITUTE OF CHEMICAL ENGINEERS Annual Meeting. Read more
- NW Schmidt, AK Udit, LA Gutierrez, MG Finn, GCL Wong. Tuning inter-virus interactions in natural aquatic environments. AMERICAN PHYSICAL SOCIETY 2009 Meeting Abstracts 1, 15012. Read more
- X Li, LA Gutierrez, TH Nguyen, J Economy. Metal Oxide Nanoparticles Coated on a Glass Fiber Substrate to Remove Viruses from Water. The 2008 THE AMERICAN INSTITUTE OF CHEMICAL ENGINEERS Annual Meeting. Read more
- N Schimdt, S Barr, A Udit, LA Gutierrez, T Nguyen, M Finn, E Lujten, G Wong. Structural transitions in condensed colloidal virus phases. AMERICAN PHYSICAL SOCIETY 2010 Meeting Abstracts X19.00011. Read more
3. Academic Conferences and Invited Lectures
- American Chemical Society (ACS) National Meeting & Exposition, New Orleans, U.S., April 2008.
- National Science Foundation (NSF) 2009 site visit, Urbana, IL, U.S.
- Materials Research Society (MRS), San Francisco, U.S., April 2009.
- International Conference of Surface and Colloid Science (ICSCS) at Columbia University, New York City, U.S., June 2009.
- Association of Environmental Engineering and Science Professors (AEESP) conference, Iowa City, U.S., July 2009.
- ACS National Meeting & Exposition, San Francisco, U.S., March 2010.
- Gordon Research Conference (GRC), Holderness, U.S., Jun. 2010.
- International Chemical Congress of Pacific Basin Societies (Pacifichem), Honolulu, Hawaii, U.S., Dec. 2010.
- AEESP, Tampa, U.S., July, 2011.
- ACS National Meeting & Exposition, New Orleans, U.S., April 2013.
- Specialist Conference, Sapporo, Japan, 2014.
- Interfaces Against Pollution Conference, Spain, 2016.
- International Conference on Emerging Contaminants and Micropollutants in the Environment, Sydney, Australia, 2016.
- International Conference on Maritime Energy Management, MARENER. World Maritime University, Sweden, 2017.